This class is an introduction to Brown Residential College and the University of Virginia and is required of all first-year students newly admitted to the University and to Brown Residential College. Students who are new to Brown College as second-, third-, or fourth-years, however, may also enroll. During the course of the semester, this class will explore the history of Brown College and the University. In class, lectures and discussions will emphasize the many opportunities that exist for Brown College residents to become engaged in activities and events within the Brown, the University, and even the local, national, and global communities. Students will read passages from the writings of the scheduled speakers as well as from selected works.
Instructor: Stephen Plaskon (firstname.lastname@example.org). Time and Place TBA.
Brown College Backstage Fall 2018 Speakers Series
TO BE ANNOUNCED.
- 8/25/17: Welcome | Introductions | Getting to Know You & Brown College's Portal Professors
- 9/1/17: Jordy Yager, Journalist; KK Ottesen, Author, Photographer, and Journalist.
- 9/8/17: Highland Plantation - Sara BonHarper
- 9/15/17: Kurt von Daacke, UVA President's Commission on Slavery
- 9/22/17: Highland Plantation - Brooks Wellmon, Lighthouse Studios
- 10/13/17: Jody Kielbasa, Vice Provost for the Arts; Wes Harris, VFF Programming Director
- 10/20/17: William Ferraro, Editor of Washington Papers
- 11/3/17: Matthew Wheelock - screening and panel discussion of "Southeast 67"
- 11/11/17: Film Festival and Brown Sponsored Film
- 11/11/17: William Antholis, UVA Miller Center Director
- 9/2/16: Matthew Wheelock & KK Ottesen
- 9/9/16: Jordy Yager, Journalist
- 9/16/16: Greg Howard - Chapman Stick
- 9/23/16: Highland Plantation - Nancy Stetz & Sara BonHarper
- 10/7/16: Jody Kielbasa - Vice Provost for the Arts & Director of the Virginia Film Festival
- 10/14/16: Gary & Sue Green - Paramount Theater
- 10/28/16: Deanna Gould - Lighhouse Studios
- 11/11/16: John Kovaleski - Gale Force 9
- 11/18/16: John Gates - Associate Dean for Diversity & Inclusion SEAS
- 9/18/15 Brown College "Hauntings" Committee Co-Chairs - Students in Brown College
- 9/18/15 John Sauer, Cathy Clary, and Sue Plaskon - Respectively: Carr's Hill Gardner, Brown College Community Fellows
- 9/11/15 James Lamb and John Flood - Respectively: Former FBI Special Agent, Hostage negotiatior for the FBI
- 9/4/15 Eduardo Montes-Bradley - Filmmaker
- 9/4/15 Stephen Plaskon and Aynne Kokas - Respectively: Director of Studies at Brown College, Asisstant Professor of Media Studies
- 11/21/14 Eduardo Montes-Bradley and Kirt von Daacke - Filmmakers
- 11/14/14 Brian Weakland - Attorney, author, and screenwriter.
- 10/17/14 David Scott McDougall - Filmmaker
- 10/3/14 Allan C. Stem - Dean of the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy
- 9/26/14 Jody Kielbasa - Director of the Virginia Film Festival
- 9/19/14 Archie Homie - UVA's Vice Provost for Innovation and Interdisciplinary Studies
- 9/12/14 John Flood - Hostage negotiator for the FBI
- 11/22/13 Samantha Taggart - Kitchen Garden Manager at UVA's Morven Farm
- 11/15/13 Brian Weakland - Attorney, author, and screenwriter
- 11/1/13 Richard Guy Wilson - Commonwealth Professor's Chair in Architectural History at UVA
- 10/18/13 Jody Kielbasa - Director of the Virginia Film Festival
- 10/4/13 Amy Quick and Katherine Davis - Respectively: producer, associate director of marketing at the Paramount Theater
- 9/20/13 Michael and Valerie Kirkman - Respectively: author, one of the first women who attended UVA
- 9/13/13 Tony Williams - Author
- 9/13/13 Catherine Schetlick - Co-founder of "The Movement Party"